Friday, March 25, 2011

an existential experiment of displacement - prologue

A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing.
Albert Camus
It's 1:30 in the morning here in buenos aires and im in the mood to write something deeply philosophical. Well, maybe not deeply philosophical, but something well thought out and profoundly sincere.
I have had a few glasses of wine, and finely want to express myself in a more honest way than before.

Maybe this is overtly emotional, but due to lack to sleep, wine, culture shock, home sickness, and repression of serious though, I hope that my few readers forgive me.
I ask one thing before reading anything I write:
Please use my writings as a part of a thought experiment. Well, maybe not all of my writings, but make a special exception for tonight. Yes, tonight maybe I am not fully present, so please do not take anything I write too seriously.
There are a few issues I would like to discuss. In some ways I feel intellectually repressed, hence my conversational tone in my blog, but in other ways I feel freed. I hope you can follow along.
1) A notion of truth
I would like to navigate between absolutism and relativism. I reject both as certainty, and would like to propose a balanced solution. We must acknowledge a need for balance.
An absolutist view asserts total knowledge of all things- although we find security in absolutism, we all know, as the cliché has it “deep in our hearts”, that we will never know anything with certainty.
But also, no human navigates in absolute relativity, even the most developed existentialist is still directed by some meaning in his “assertion of non- navigation”. Although we feel truth in the realizaion of grays in life, it is death to the human soul to surrender to total gray. Ironically, the person who prides themselves in relatvitism is the very person who terms to declare the “social injustices” of their communities.
2) An establishment of truths
Lets break it down to real life. What is real life? Is the rush of the big city absord in the pluralistic conflicts of the world 'real life”, or is the small country community that focuses on the trivial aspects of everyday life 'real life?' Of course, in a way, both ways address different aspects of life. The big picture of the metropolitan city, and also the small town farmer who feeds the cycle of life with the crops he delivers with his hands. Both are truth. One should not be elevated above the either. Both are equally important. The value of both is that they each attribute to the human.
3) We need to re-establish humanistic truths
Now here is what I am going to say is going to become a little sticky and abstract.
I do not believe in an absolutist truth, but I do believe in a type of universal truth. Now, although this seems contradictory, please try to follow. Or just stop!
What I definite is being a universal truth is a truth that is pro- human. Because we are all of the same species, there are going to “rights” and “wrongs” that are going to be found in every society, although maybe interpreted in maybe different ways. For example, family structure is pro human. Of course, the family structure is not absolutist, and can function in different forms, but there seems to be a universal need for family bonds.
4) An existential experiment of displacement
Perhaps one of the best ways to discover universal truth is through an existential experiment of displacement. Much like John Rawls' veil of ignorance, we must establish humanistic truths based on what we, as an individual, would choose if completely detached from our current position in life.
5) The balance between angels and animals
I think one of the most profound definitions of humanism is that which is seeks the divine, while acknowledging the animal. We MUST seek the ideal, perfection, or so to say..the heavenly. It is this which gives us hope, and it is these things that spur us on to overcome the animal. But, it is also vital to recognize we are mammals; we are not angels. We must not paint life in overtly religious rhetoric, over spiritualizing that which is not spiritual. The most obvious example of this balance is in erotic love. Being love is in a sense a denial of reality; it is envisioning a person in a divine light, which is also crushed later by life, but exists for a time. The ecstasy of the lover causes one to sore through the heavens, which as L.S. Lewis notes, it is no wonder that God created the human with such an animalistic way of consumating its affection in order to bring the person back to earth. The human, who has momentarily tasted soma, has to engage in an act that puts him back in his earthly place.
ok, enough for right now.

No comments: